Friday 6 June 2014

The Book Thief - Heart Thief, more like! - A Review

One of the first things my Dad told me about reading is that no matter how often you read a book, it will be like new to you. You will always discover something different, always find a different kind of meaning in it for you in that exact point in your life. I hear so many people say they would never read a book twice, but really, it isn’t about just knowing the plot. You can appreciate a book for all its different forms of beauty, depending on where you are in life.

You know that eternal #firstworldproblem of running out of space for books, and having to decide which ones are gonna go to the charity shop? Some people find it easy – read it once, and it goes. But for me, and possibly for some others, it’s truly the test of a book’s true heart – is it gonna be a one-night-stand, or a life-long romance? Those books never leave me. Literally. And those books are the truly great ones. And sometimes you don’t even know. Sometimes it’s in the hands of a book-fate fairy, if you will, to reintroduce you to an old, forgotten love.

What I’m trying to say, this isn’t the first time that I have read The Book Thief. And it’s the second time around I think I could get a fuller, rounder, deeper appreciation of it. What a wonderful, wonderful book.

The story: intense, powerful, human, flaying your heart open, for want of a better comparison, like a china town duck.

The characters: quirky, idiosyncratic, bordering on weird, flawed, real, but truly lovable because of it.

The writing: simply beautiful, with turns of phrases that made me underline them.

The perspective: as told by Death: creating an “intimate distance”, a paradoxical but close observational point of view that evoke satire as much as rich humanity.

The Book Thief is universally amazing: one of those books you can recommend to everyone and not fail.

Please read it.

I’m not kidding.


Do!


Yours, bookishly,

Patty 

No comments:

Post a Comment